[MUD-Dev] No bots allowed

Paul Schwanz paul.schwanz at east.sun.com
Fri Mar 15 12:21:38 CET 2002

From:  Marc Bowden <ryumo at merit.edu>
> Colin Coghill wrote:

>> Obviously you want some formula for combining these into one
>> roll.

> Or - and this forces codependent skill development (forces your
> users to spend points on two specializations instead of one for
> the enhanced result) - you could have a fighting.tactics.  skill
> be a complimentary skill to the basic fighting.melee.
> skill. Seperating it on our particular skill web also allows for
> tutors and scholars to have a knowledge of military tactics
> without necessarily posessing the technical fighting skills needed
> to carry them out on the battlefield.

To take this idea a bit further, for *all* skills, you could have
skill.knowledge and skill.proficiency.  Knowledge can be passed on
through books, scholars, tutors, etc.  Proficiency only comes with
actual training/using what you have learned.  Knowledge would act
naturally as an upper limit on proficiency.  If you are particularly
set up for a point-spending sort of paradigm, I suppose you could
give knowledge points and proficiency points to spend.  Personally,
I think I'd give knowledge and proficiency directly from appropriate
activity instead of abstraction to points and then back.

Incidentally, this can also be a compromise for whether or not to
have skill atrophy.  Atrophy for proficiency, but not for knowledge
(or at least not nearly so much) seems intuitive to me.

--Phinehas