[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Mar 19 22:54:41 CET 2002

Daniel Harman writes:
> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

>> And then there's the information that you surely can't commuicate
>> to the client, such as the current position of in-game mobiles
>> that you want to make 'solid'.

> I think most current games that have this type of collision
> detection, do it client side. Its an expensive operation, and in a
> lot of situations its not crucial that its 100% accurate. Even if
> you did want to do it server side, this is exactly the kind of
> thing you'd run in parallel on the client too.  After all, you
> don't want the client to think you can run through a wall/person
> and then be rubber banded back 250ms later.

You're assuming that the client is letting the player drive the
character around in real time.  As I suggested in an earlier post,
if the client only accepts statements about where the character
should be at some time in the future, then the server will send
updates to the client to tell it where the characters is over time.
The result is pathing only on the server.  Yes, network latency will
cause there to be a reaction time consideration (I say 'go' now, and
the character starts moving one network roundtrip time later).  If a
game doesn't rely on high speed reaction times to provide its
entertainment, that won't be a problem.

JB