[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

shren shren at io.com
Wed Mar 20 05:59:54 CET 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

>> And then there's the information that you surely can't commuicate
>> to the client, such as the current position of in-game mobiles
>> that you want to make 'solid'.

> I think most current games that have this type of collision
> detection, do it client side. Its an expensive operation, and in a
> lot of situations its not crucial that its 100% accurate. Even if
> you did want to do it server side, this is exactly the kind of
> thing you'd run in parallel on the client too.  After all, you
> don't want the client to think you can run through a wall/person
> and then be rubber banded back 250ms later.

I think any game that did this would have a "I didn't collide with
anything,I can walk through anything/anyone" hack.  This probably
varies greatly from game to game.  Personally, and I am not a game
development professional (so add as much salt as you like), if
you're willing to trust the client to do collision detection, with
it's limited knowledge of the true current position of mobiles and
ability to lie, then you don't care enough about collision detection
to bother, and might as well make things transparent (or add
'shoving past' text/graphics).

 xxx