[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

shren shren at io.com
Fri Mar 22 14:39:20 CET 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to shren:

>> What seems to happen in most games I've played extensively is
>> that either no collision detection is done, and A can run through
>> B.

>> Or that both the server and the client do collision detection,
>> the server to determine exact position and the client for
>> cosmetic reasons.  The client tries to make best guess decisions
>> about where you can go, and show you going there, but if it ever
>> makes an error the server overrides and snaps you to the correct
>> place.

> Or, in Everquest's case, both clients do collision detection,
> which the server doesn't validate, and, depending on the lag, B
> may either block or not block A.

> This looks stupid, from a theoretical point of view, but it
> usually works (i.e. A and B get to see a "correct" situation, in
> which either A passes before B manage to get to the door, or A is
> blocked by B).  This only fails if lag is major and the situation
> borderline (they rush to the door at the same time).

This is interesting; clarify further.  I'm A and I'm using a "I
never collide with any other player" cheat.  B runs into me, B is
not using such a cheat.  Does that mean that A is blocked by B,
because B tells the server, "I hit A"?

If so, what happens if B hacks his client to send messages saying he
collides with anyone who passes within 10 paces?  Has B made himself
"virtually obese"?

Regardless, point remains, there's lots of ways of handling
pathfinding, both with and without dynamic collisions (having things
which can block you which can move), and all of them are pretty far
from perfect.  (Probably my last words on the matter.)

 xxx