[MUD-Dev] Prediction (Was: Quake II has gone GPL)

shren shren at io.com
Fri Mar 22 14:52:03 CET 2002

On 22 Mar 2002, T o F wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 13:16, shren wrote:

> Yeah, i saw it on most mmpg, even not massive ones. Two questions
> are coming, according to me:

>   - how many times would it happen ? if the network latency is
>   correct, and the game is not too fast (we're speaking about
>   PnP-rpg like, not diablo like:) it should not happen very
>   often. When i saw these 'snaps', it was mostly because my
>   connection was slowed down, very ponctually.  Actually it's
>   again linked to server scaling...

Hmmm...  Playing Diablo II, I tend to get at least a little bit,
even over broadband.  It's been a while since I've played UO, but
having been involved in some massive PvP battles (I recall a 20 plus
against 5 to 7 or so.), I've seen it a lot.

>   - is it so terrible ? The goal of the prediction is to make the
>   game client-side more responsive. One or two bugs may be easily
>   accepted if the game-desing is not only moving/fighting
>   oriented.

And they are accepted, even when the game designing is moving and
fighting oriented.  You have to deal with these issues somehow, if
you want to have something as complicated as a simple door in your
game.  It's worth talking about, though, because it's an area in
games that can always use improvement, because while it's hard to do
well it's easy to do badly, and because it's a perfect example of
how you just can't trust the client without putting yourself on the
line somehow.

 xxx