[MUD-Dev] NEWS: mooix beta 1 released (successor to perlmoo)

F. Randall Farmer randy.farmer at pobox.com
Wed Mar 27 07:42:57 CET 2002

Joey Hess, on Friday, March 22, 2002 12:29 PM, said:

> Mooix ... every method runs as a separate process in a sanndboxed
> environment on a unix system, the unix filesystem is used to
> represent objects in an object-oriented way, ...

> ... objects can be built using any language ...

> ... integrate useful tools like editors and pagers into the moo
> (so you can code on the moo from inside the moo, using vi). The
> downside is that anyone who is given programmer rights might as
> well be given a standard unix user account and shell along with
> them.

I visited the sight and was both impressed and appalled (at the same
time) with the architecture; impressed at how well it works
(technically) and appalled at the new levels of security and
usability issues it introduces to the MUD genre. This goes into my
"quite-a-hack" category.  I would _never_ install anything like this
anywhere, unless I was the only programmer. :-)

Could you share with us what your design goals were for this system?
What were you specifically trying to accomplish, and why this model
was selected over others?

Thanks,
Randy