[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Wed May 1 15:36:22 CEST 2002

>From Dave Rickey

> Both Yee and Bartle were trying to establish a framework of
> motivations.  Bartle observed the behaviour of players, and
> derived the Explorer type from the fact that some players seem to
> spend a great deal of time exploring.  Yee used standard
> psychological metrics to try to examine the motivations directly,
> and found not just a shortage of Explorers, but a complete
> nonexistence.

> If the discrepencies between the Bartle Test data and Yee's study
> is purely a result of a complete absence of Explorer opportunities
> in the games, and the major MMOG's are truly devoid of
> exploration, *why* does the Bartle Test not show the slightest
> hint of this?  It pegs all three pretty much in the centerline of
> the overall spectrum.

Perhaps it's possible that Yee just chose to measure different
things and divide his pie in a different way?  I don't think Yee
left out explorers, he just didn't measure that behavior, and
focused on different things.

There are hundreds of real-life personality tests.  Are the ones
that have no concept of introversion invalid?  Do they make the
Meyers-Briggs test invalid?  Quite the opposite, they measure
different but related things, and comparing and contrasting the
results and overlap of those results is frequently more illuminating
than just seeing the results of one test.

No one theory is holy writ.  We should be _encouraging_ more people
to come up with new ways to examine and divide the player base, as
opposed to try to map everything onto
Achievers/Explorers/Killers/Socializers.

--d