[MUD-dev] Fun in Games

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Wed May 1 15:46:34 CEST 2002

From: shren

> I do remember getting a "these people are helpless, what would
> they do without me" feeling playing Deus Ex, though, so it just
> goes to show that you should let NPCs do something interesting
> once in a while.

  "If you want players to listen to NPCs, be sure that NPCs are
  talking about players."

Too often, we use NPCs to parse out ridiculously overblown backstory
that no one cares about.  Make your NPCs talk to strangers about the
true lore of the world.  You will be shocked as to how quickly your
world feels more alive and affectable by the player base.

--d