[MUD-Dev] Introduction and My solution to Powergamers, Treadmills, and Content Devaluation.

shren shren at io.com
Tue May 7 06:46:15 CEST 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Ken Raisor wrote:

> My first decision had to do with Powergamer Content.  Powergamers
> easily eat up the most resources in a modern day MMORPG.  Modern
> MMORPGs have taken a stance on powergaming that I find perplexing.
> The Solution that seems to be prevelant is to raise the incline of
> your treadmill higher, add additional levels or skill branches,
> and constantly add more High level content.

A few notes on NWN.

  I can almost guarantee you will never see an EBay auction of an
  NWN character.  Anybody who really wants a high level character
  without work will be able to get one.  After all, the players can
  shape the world they play in.  The only way to prevent this is a
  private character vault, which leads to issue 2:

  Coming up with 20 levels worth of content on one server or one
  group of servers is a full time job in itself.

  That aside, Permadeath, as "permanent death", gets talked about a
  lot in this forum (check the archives for multiple DoUS), and is
  something of a pet interest of mine.  (I play a lot of angband,
  where the idea of permadeath is ingrained in the culture.)  I'd be
  interested in testing whatever you come up with.

--
http://www.shren.net

 xxx