[MUD-Dev] Combat with Style (was RE: Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD)

lynx at lynx.purrsia.com lynx at lynx.purrsia.com
Wed May 8 22:45:47 CEST 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Damion Schubert wrote:
> From lynx at lynx.purrsia.com

>> If I wanted people to focus on doing cool things in a combat
>> system, I'd hand out points for style. ...

> I like this a lot, and if you take a cue from Tricky and Tony
> Hawk, you can give bonus points for players being stylish in
> different ways (you perform the same decapitation over and over
> again, it's no longer special) or even have the combat system sort
> of 'nudge' you towards a certain tactic.  Interesting...

You're certainly welcome to use it as an idea!  Though I suspect
merely reducing the specialness of a move would probably only
encourage players to rotate the moves they used.

An alternative to degrading the style of moves might be to assign
risk to trickier moves.  Say, move X is stylish but opens you up to
move Y, and the AI usually chooses move Z, but might sometimes do
move Y.  Then the player has a choice: play it safe and get no style
points, or take a risk and get a bonus.

It'd be an extended Rock, Paper, Scissors.  Each move would have its
own strengths and weaknesses, but none would be absolute in its
ability to attack or defend against all other moves.

When fighting a monster, or another player, the question becomes,
can you guess what move they're going to make?  You might know that
they tend toward Rock, or Paper, or Scissors, but the smarter ones
won't do the same thing every time...

-- Conrad