[MUD-Dev] People were talking about resets..

shren shren at io.com
Tue May 14 06:00:18 CEST 2002

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Arnau Rosselló Castelló wrote:

> I think that if you put generators, players will simple kill all
> wandering critters and then camp the generator. One solution to
> this is make the 0 generators invisible and make them "flee" from
> players(of course they shouldn't 0 know the direction or even that
> it is gone), so while they could spawn 0 sometimes in front of
> them("you see a rabit jumping out from the bushes"), they 0 could
> not camp them effectively.

Invisible generators really just is spawning with a different name.
If you're trying to be both ecology-like and avoid extinction, just
tie the birth rate to the inverse of the population.  If you have
10,000 critters, then they only give birth to one critter a day,
while if you are down to 50 critters, they have a far greater birth
rate.  It's not particularly realistic for non-sentient species, but
some aspects of realism don't make for a good game.

--

 x                http://www.shren.net
 xxx