[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Wed May 15 12:21:30 CEST 2002

>From shren
> On Fri, 10 May 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 May 2002, shren wrote:

>>> So, ya, I'm out a little on sales, but now I have accounts.
>>> Dozens of them.  I can become the worst troublemaker on the
>>> planet.  I can use the TOS's "don't do this" as a checklist of
>>> things to try.  I can kill, slay, steal, insult, and torment -
>>> when a game company representitive shows up, I can get up in
>>> thier face, as well, because I really don't care.  If they ban
>>> this account, I have a dozen more in the wings, and more where
>>> they come from.

>> But that can happen now, and it's not a big problem.

> In the case of most mainstream MUDs, multiple accounts arn't
> allowed or encouraged, and those who pursue the above tactics get
> banned.  Were it allowed, you could pursue all of the above
> tactics, minus admin-taunting, with impunity.

Just because a company allows you to buy eBay accounts, it doesn't
mean they allow you to be an ass.  They can still ban you, and in
doing so, ban a credit card you charge your account to.  Eventually,
you will run out of credit cards.

I could equally well argue that the ability to sell accounts on eBay
-reduces- the amount of high level anti-social behavior.  If my
level 50 character is worth $1000 bucks on eBay, am I going to throw
that away by going on a final postal killing spree?

--d