[MUD-Dev] Question about copyovers.

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Fri May 17 02:50:09 CEST 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002 fred at clift.org wrote:

> The first is to have the existing server fork and exec making sure
> that the descriptors are set to live through an exec) and pass
> info about what descriptor is what (and auxilary info like where
> in the world they are etc) via environment variables,
> disk-storage, or command-line options or something.

I've been looking at a variation of this in the MUD I've been trying
to design.  In it, players are a subclass of mobile object; the main
difference is that player objects have an attribute that accepts
either a socket or None, instead of a similar attribute linked to
the mob AI.  So by forking a fresh copy into memory, the resident
player objects are also copied, socket file-descriptors and all.

Then again, since I'm writing it in Python, I can also write the
code to load, reload, and unload modules almost at will.

--
Siege