[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon May 20 10:36:01 CEST 2002

From: Matt Mihaly
> On Thu, 16 May 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> Leaving all this aside, if you allow account sales there is
>> another possible issue. People may try and turn certain areas of
>> your game into a production line to power level characters purely
>> for sale. If you have tonnes of content this may not be an issue,
>> but given that those making the production line are almost
>> certain to pick the optimal place to level, I'm fairly certain
>> they will lock heads with players doing the same. Its a similar
>> problem to people farming equipment from static rare spawns for
>> ebay, which again damages the majorities fun.

> I don't enjoy loot n' level, so don't really play the DIKU type of
> game, but from what I understand, it's basically a production line
> anyway, regardless of whether people are selling the characters or
> not. That was my understanding at least.

Well there is definitely an element of truth in what you say, but a
player powerleveling will have one very high level character and his
powerlevelee (sp?) monopolizing an area that would otherwise support
several level appropriate players. Those level appropriate players
are going to be more pissed off if they can't hunt in a spot because
someone is powerleveling to sell, than if another level appropriate
group got there first.

Dan