[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Voice in MO* - Phoneme Decomposition and Reconstruction

Mike Shaver shaver at mozilla.org
Wed May 22 13:22:44 CEST 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:59:26AM -0700, John Buehler wrote:

> With real speech, multiple people can be talking at once, and
> their voices can overlap and be perfectly intelligible.

While that's true in a cocktail party situation, I find that it
isn't as true in a conference call/speakerphone situation.  I'm no
sensory theorist, but I suspect that it's at least partially related
to the loss of spatial cues, which make it easier for the brain to
"demux" the different audio streams.

(There is perhaps some element of visual hinting too, in the form of
sub-conscious lip-reading or whatever.)

Games today are certainly able to do spatial audio stuff, but unless
the listening player has a very finely tuned setup, I suspect
they're going to lose a lot of "spatial resolution".

Mike