[MUD-Dev] The audience is the medium. For now.

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Fri May 24 08:06:13 CEST 2002

Ted L. Chen posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 9:11 AM

> Mind you, your everyday GoPer just runs by looking at these people
> funny...  but somehow they manage to exist regardless.  I'm
> personally waiting for the day that a MMORPG includes a
> traditional-style acting stage for these showboaters :)

Forgot acting stages.  Imagine a world where TV is made by virtual
cameras that just splice footage together from a virtual world.  No
more actors -- everyone's an actor, you're just reporting news
footage in a virtual universe where dragons and knights are an
everyday occurrence.  I imagine traditional acting would come back
into vogue (like it is now).

From: http://www.jrmooneyham.com/s2008.html#section16

  "In some ways, this is all the worst nightmare of established
  Hollywood players, come true.  It's almost becoming routine now
  for breakthrough media artists to suddenly burst onto the scene
  'out of nowhere' by virtue of astonishing new works online,
  thereby eclipsing the release of many much more expensive
  productions of true Hollywood/Big TV players of the time. This
  phenomenon is hitting Hollywood where it hurts-- in the
  pocketbook. Because the new artists and tiny production houses
  appear financially much more efficient and productive than the
  giants, as well as more creative in marketing and promotion.

  Among other things, the traditional entertainment/broadcast
  industry faces a massive onslaught of what are little more than
  blatant rip offs of their content-- and sometimes rip offs that
  viewers much prefer to the originals.  Indeed, the availability of
  this alternative content all by itself persuades many citizens to
  go online, or significantly expand their online usage."

For example: the next Star Wars movie may not come from Lucas at
all, but "filmed" through the online game.  Once the graphics become
indistinguishable from real people, this is bound to happen.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien