[MUD-Dev] Codename Blue & Facets - Nick Yee's new studies

Steve {Bloo} Daniels bloo at playnet.com
Mon May 27 11:43:41 CEST 2002

Richard A. Bartle wrote:
> On 23rd May 2002, Steve (Bloo) Daniels wrote:

>>> Killers climb a mountain because that'll spoil the experience
>>> for everyone else.

>> That is more a definition of a Griefer than a Killer.

> Wellll, yes, it is. I suppose I was being a little too facetious
> there.

> It's more like: Killers climb a mountain because of the power it
> gives them over other people. However, since (in general) climbing
> a mountain doesn't give people power over other people, the
> analogy kinda broke down there so I took the griefer option.

Might Killer be equated with Power-Seeker (at least
Power-Over-Others)?  If so, then it seems to close "Competitor"
(against other people), which is certainly where I would place
myself.

>> I might climb the mountain to get away from other people, so
>> maybe I'm Anti-Social. :-)

> There aren't many of you in multi-player games, because you can
> get everything you want without hassle from single-players games.

In that instance, I meant a real mountain. </poor attempt at humor>

> My approach is at the psychological level, whereas for
> multi-community games with thousands of players a socialogical
> level is likely to be of more use. We don't have that yet, but
> perhaps Yee's Motivations could lead to something concrete in that
> direction. I await further results and analysis with interest.

I have to agree with you.

Could you remind me when you started your work on player type?  I
wonder if your work might have had different results if it were done
today, particularly with survey questions without the problems Nick
Yee has identified.

-bloo