[MUD-Dev] What keeps people interested in social muds?

Ron Gabbard rgabbard at swbell.net
Wed May 29 08:48:53 CEST 2002

From: "Martin C. Martin" <martin at metahuman.org>

> Anyway, encouraging people to socialize and keeping them
> interested in a virtual world is the goal of the social mud.  What
> keeps people coming back to social muds?  Why would someone choose
> a social mud over a simple chat room, like IRC?

Short story... I recently subscribed to UO to check out the economy
and met a husband and wife pair that had been playing for 4 years.
I quickly hit it off with them and they invited me over to their
house where they outfitted my noob arse with some equipment.  While
I was there, the wife showed me some flowers that her husband had
given her for Valentine's Day, 1999.  This house was packed with
decorations and just 'stuff' but those flowers were the first and
only thing she showed me.

I knew right then that those two would be hanging out in that world
until the servers came down.

Cheers,

Ron