[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Oct 2 10:22:37 CEST 2002

From: Shane P. Lee [mailto:tacodog21 at yahoo.com]

> Well, I'm gonna make a fool of myself and unlurk once again, this
> time to ask what seems to be a newbie question. I see this term
> "player-generated content" quite a lot Apparently it doesn't mean
> what I thought it did when I first saw it. In my mind, PGC would
> be anything the player does that has a lasting effect on the game
> world. Perhaps building a house, or chopping down trees, something
> that other players notice and saves over reboots (or
> whatever). That stuff isn't very hard to add to text MUDs, and I
> can't see why it would be such a big deal to add it to a MMORPG.
> Am I missing the point here? If so, please tell me what all the
> fuss is about, namely: What IS PGC?

All those things are just a complete pain when you have a 3d
engine. That's why Ultima is more complex than anything that has
since appeared. You have issues with polygon count, texture working
set size, representing changes in geometry in a bandwidth efficient
manner, the list goes on...

Deformable terrain is just a nightmare (assuming you want a nice LOD
based, TnL card friendly system with fantastic draw distance).

Dan