[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Wed Oct 2 10:35:10 CEST 2002

>From Shane P. Lee

> Well, I'm gonna make a fool of myself and unlurk once again, this
> time to ask what seems to be a newbie question. I see this term
> "player-generated content" quite a lot Apparently it doesn't mean
> what I thought it did when I first saw it.

It's a fair question, as the definition of it seems to vary
depending on who you ask (which certainly adds to the Grailiness of
the concept =).

One way to think of Player-Generated Content is "stuff that players
can create in which they can (a) express themselves creatively and
(b) entertain other players."

The far end of the spectrum (i.e. the Grail's Grail) is the ability
for players to create dungeons and areas and/or run quests and
adventures in a manner that doesn't affect the stability or balance
of the game for the rest of the players.  This reason is why a lot
of theorists hold NeverWinter Nights up as the second coming, while
always offering the caveat that its not an MMP. =)

However, we've seen lots of other attempts at creating PGC that can
or cannot be called PGC depending on your own internal definition.

Is creating a house (a la the Sims) player generated content?  What
about plopping down a house (a la UO)?  If not, are the UO towns
player generated content?

Several muds have the ability for players to create newspapers.  A
smattering of muds have the ability for players to create entirely
new objects (or more accurately, rename existing objects and change
their description).

In Asheron's Call 2, when you hold an instrument and play an emote,
it plays a certain musical phrase.  Is this player generated
content?  What if 5 people get together and make a 'song' of sorts.
Is that?  Despite the lack of persistence of this content, and the
limited variety, there's certainly no doubt that the players in the
beta are enjoying it quite a bit.

And of course, if you want to be superinclusive, you can include
giving players the ability to set their own emotes and create their
own descriptions.  In Meridian 59, the richest player-content wasn't
in- game, but rather the stories the players took it upon themselves
to post on websites and make the ipso facto lore of the world.

But I doubt these easy victories will appease the purists who want
the Grail's Grail.  And why not? PGC is a great goal.  From a
creative sense, it gives players a greater sense of ownership of the
game (would you stop paying $10 a month, if it meant leaving your
greatest creation forever?)  >From a development sense, it
potentially means using the players as a force multiplier, radically
increasing the ability to create content for others to devour.

Some developers fear PGC, as it means giving up control of their
baby.  But ultimately, the world does not belong to them anyway.

Sheesh, this got long.  Rambling's what I get for waking up at 7 AM
I guess.

--d