[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Sat Oct 19 10:55:57 CEST 2002

From: Ola Fosheim Grxstad

> Yes, I have spent some time thinking about this one too, but
> please define "character" for me in a clear and consise way which
> enables me to test whether something is or is not a
> character... It isn't all that clear, or is it?

Sorry. :-\

My use of 'character' I meant in a sense of 'an object which
exhibits character - probably due to player control'. I realise
there may be a more conventional interpretation, as in a 'character
in a play', a sort of role that one is expected to play.

By 'character', I also meant avatar. I meant any player controlled
object in a virtual world that can be perceived by other players to
have a personality (which tends to imply some degree of intelligent
behaviour). There may be other objects which could be controlled,
e.g. traffic lights or rubber dingies, but the limitations of
expression may reduce the potential for expression of personality.

'Identity value' would be how much the player desires to maintain
consistency and continuity of behaviour (or 'character') for a
particular object, e.g. how much they wish to make the object appear
as if it's persistently being controlled by a single, consistent
player, as opposed to appearing quite schizophrenic or
inconsistent. This doesn't necessarily mean that a single player
controls that object, but that all players who do, wish to preserve
the appearance that it is.

Low 'identity value' would be where a player (or players) don't care
about personality/behavioural consistency and just use an object as
they see fit.  These are the sort of players who if they needed to
drive in a screw, would use a hammer if it were nearby rather than
seek out a screwdriver.

I guess we could divide players into 'those who want to suspend
disbelief, who want to escape to the world' and 'those who can't
help but see the game as a machine, and play by machine rules - as
opposed to tacit ones'.

This is what Merriam-Webster has to say about 'identity':
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary (first two defs only) 1 a :
sameness of essential or generic character in different instances b
: sameness in all that constitutes the objective reality of a thing
: ONENESS 2 a : the distinguishing character or personality of an
individual : INDIVIDUALITY b : the relation established by
psychological identification

So players who value 'identity' (of player controlled
objects/avatars/characters) will strive to produce it for the
objects they control. In Robin Hood world (where characters are
supposed to be true to form) we'd thus get Maid Marion appearing
ladylike and enchanting (apologies to feminists) when played by
players who value identity, but probably masculine (assuming a male
biased demographic), deceitful, rakish, and schizoid when played by
players who don't.