[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Sat Oct 19 12:38:38 CEST 2002

On 18th October, 2002, Ola Fosheim Grxstad wrote:

> First of all, why do you see K->E->A->S as the classic
> progression?

Wait until the book is published next year, please. It took me 6
weeks to write this argument up and I'd rather get it torn to shreds
all at once rather than nibbled at for months first.

> That was the small disagreement, then the big one. Why do you
> assume that immersion is increasing!

I don't. I make a case that promoting immersion is desirable. If I
assumed that immersion was increasing anyway, I wouldn't have to do
that.

> Remember that immersion (Flow) is related to the belief that you
> can control and influence your success (desired
> progress/experience whatever) by focusing.

That's if you identify immersion with flow. I identify it as a
symptom of virtual/real identity congruency.

		Richard