[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Sun Oct 20 01:45:56 CEST 2002

Richard Bartle:
> From: Ola Fosheim Grxstad

>> entering a typical RPG MUD I would rather assume something like
>> EAKSEA, but this really depends on the games you have experience
>> and the MUD you enter... (KEAS might be right for UO, but
>> probably not for AO/EQ) For a nongamer I would assume SEA...

> For combat-oriented muds, I would have put it as
> A->K->E->S. Certainly in the commercial world most people seem to
> come in ready to "play the game" which to them means level up or
> whatever. Then they look for greater challenges in the form of
> player opponents, then start exploring other aspects of the game,
> and finally stick for their friends.

Hm, maybe, but it all depends. You may defend the initial K, by the
reasoning that the newbie does not know anybody, so his first
attempt will be to obtain recognition by others. Especially if
ignored. I certainly did so in UO when I first logged on. In AO I
did not and wound up in a SEA mix. Mostly due to design, timing, the
phase of development of the world...

In AO I would expect an early phase of exploration due to the large
world, interesting visuals and somewhat complex interface. Then the
excessive XP focus (as well as the desire to get a Yalmha to get
around faster) will drive forth the achiever then you may be fit for
PK, or give it up, then spend time in your mid-level guild
socializing. Eventually you get your yalmaha and are bored with the
repetitive threadmill and start exploring the world, see all the
sights and soforth as well as having to learn how to build
guns. Finally you realize that you have stayed at the same level for
a month and you start climbing for level 200, then you
quit. Well... Just an example of the gamedesign encouraging
particular playstyles during the lifespan of the playeraccount.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/