[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Sun Oct 20 02:16:33 CEST 2002

"Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk> writes:

> I don't. I make a case that promoting immersion is desirable. If I
> assumed that immersion was increasing anyway, I wouldn't have to
> do that.

Yes, clearly promoting immersion is desirable, because without it
you won't have an experienced world. Of course, if you only care
about the characer, then you don't need a world at all...

The problem is that IMO the natural progress is to become less
immersed into the fictional game world and more focused on the
virtual group of people sitting outside the world... At least when
the world is static and limiting, and you know all about it: then
there is less interesting to focus on the world itself. The current
worlds die fairly quickly.

> That's if you identify immersion with flow. I identify it as a
> symptom of virtual/real identity congruency.

This is something we have discussed at length before I
think... Anyway, do you agree that immersion is about being focused?
That is, pushing other concerns out of your mind, yielding place for
whatever it is you are being immersed into? That is, immersion is
something that occurs during a session?

  (The virtual/real identity issue is rather complex... and I don't
  think we reached agreement on that one either...)

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/