[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Sun Oct 20 11:13:58 CEST 2002

On 20th October, Ola Fosheim Grxstad wrote:

> Yes, clearly promoting immersion is desirable, because without it
> you won't have an experienced world.

It's not necessarily desirable in virtual worlds that are for
educational or other non-game purposes, but in the majority of
virtual worlds it is.

> Of course, if you only care about the characer, then you don't
> need a world at all...

It's because I care about the character that I care about the world.

> do you agree that immersion is about being focused?

No, I don't. Focus and immersion may go hand in hand at times, but
they're not different sides of some same coin.

> That is, pushing other concerns out of your mind, yielding place
> for whatever it is you are being immersed into? That is, immersion
> is something that occurs during a session?

It occurs during a session, yes, and focus may be one of the ways
that people use to achieve it. However, once you're immersed you can
do things that are incompatible with focus. You can daydream in
virtual worlds, for example.

> (The virtual/real identity issue is rather complex... and I don't
> think we reached agreement on that one either...)

We don't have to agree - it would take all the fun away <grin> .

Richard