[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 28 09:30:48 CET 2002

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 08:13, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

> I don't know. It is easier for newbies to get into the system if
> everybody else are "newbies".

I don't agree with this statement, but that could depend on the
interpretation of "get into the system".

Interpretation 1: "Get into the system" == "Simply starting to play
the game and become interested enough to come back a second time"

I just started playing Achaea, and at about the same time I also had
two of my friends join the game so we could all hang out together
online.

Shortly after finishing the newbie intro, all three of us were
sitting around playing and we really didn't have any clue what to
do.  Nobody knew the land, nobody knew the combat system, nobody
really understood much of anything.  Eventually the other two got
frustrated and gave up, and probably won't come back until I figure
out enough to show them around.

Interpretation 2: "Get into the system" == "Find your way to a
position of power within the system"

Assuming you wipe the world and give everyone a fresh start, thus
giving everyone an "equal" chance to build themselves up, the
hardcore gamers and those that had the power in the old system are
the most likely to re-establish that power.  They are the ones that
have all the contacts and the understanding of how things work, and
I'd bet that in short order you would have the old hierarchy
overlaid on top of the new world.

-ED

Edward Glowacki			glowack2 at msu.edu
Michigan State University
"...a partial solution to the right problem is better than a complete
solution to the wrong one." (http://uiweb.com/issues/issue14.htm)