[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Tue Oct 29 15:16:02 CET 2002

Shren said:

> I've thought about this.  Say your world of city states has 10,000
> grid squares of land.  If you add diminishing returns for
> controlling more than a certain number of them, then you guarantee
> that no one kingdom ever conquers.

That's basically the idea that I've had as well, but instead of
diminishing returns, it's more like "power drops off as a function
of distance from true home".

So say you have two kingdoms, Alpha and Omega.  Alpha dominates the
landscape, however players that are citizens of Alpha see their
power diminish the further they get away from Alpha's capital.  To
some extent, they can recoup power by conquering smaller cities and
outposts that lessen the drop off, but the drop off exists
nonetheless.

Omega only controls its home city, and it can probably never be
taken away because the power slope would likely function at such an
extreme at that location that a relatively weak Omegan could defeat
the most powerful Alpha.

-Hook