[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Tue Sep 3 17:35:00 CEST 2002

Sean Kelly wrote:

> I'll define "achievements" since that's the crucial term.  By
> achievements I mean anything that permanently affects the game
> state.  The bulk of the current crop of MMORPGs follows the
> popular MUD model where canned quests are constructed for players
> to play through, and each element of those quests resets after a
> predetermined interval so other players can experience the quest
> as well.  There are no achievements because the world state resets
> -- nothing a player does has any lasting impact on the
> environment.

I certainly understand your sentiment, but I would like to point out
that there is a lasting effect on your character, if not the
environment.  All game-recognized achievements are embodied in the
character's development.  In this sense, I think this makes the sort
of achievement you're talking about possible, but I'd certainly like
to see it expanded to include the environment as well.

--Phinehas