[MUD-Dev] Commercialization of virtual spaces

Jessica Mulligan jessica at mm3d.com
Tue Sep 17 07:22:55 CEST 2002

At 12:03 AM 9/17/2002 -0700, "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:

> Well, it was bound to happen, of course. The Sims Online is going
> to feature virtual McDonalds and virtual Intel computers.

Thankfully, games like TSO and sports titles are the ones best
suited to commercialization; I doubt we'll see much of this in
worlds that are not set in the modern-day or near-modern day.
Although, I'd love to see a Kensington Fried Lizzard Partes store in
DAoC or AC2, :D.

The question is, of course, where does the game stop and the
advertising begin?  There is always a risk of the advertising
subsuming the original purpose of the content, as it did with AOL
and the Web in general.

-Jessica

Board of Directors, The Themis Group
Board of Advisors,  Intelligent Games (http://www.intelgames.com/)
Author, Biting the Hand, http://www.skotos.net/articles/bth.html
Co-Author, "Developing Online Games: An Insider's Guide" (Prentice Hall,
Winter 2002)