[MUD-Dev] Player Created Content - The Holy Grail?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Sep 23 02:59:24 CEST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Matthew Dobervich wrote:

> The game mechanics in these titles are very simple, and consist of
> providing the player a set of building blocks that they can
> construct their creations out of.  These systems would be
> exponentially more rewarding with the massively expanded audience
> provided by a persistent world.

We just put in a system like this for housing subdivisions that player
governments create. They use an ansi-colored ascii tileset with various
tiles (maybe 40 total, I don't remember offhand) to build subdivisions
with roads, gardens, groves of trees, lakes, rivers, and so on. Obviously,
the graphics, such as they are, are very 1982, given that they're ascii.

We also let players design their own clothing (text descriptions) and when
the housing system is actually built so that the subdivisions are useful
for something, they'll be able to write their own housing descriptions,
configure their houses as they please, and so on. I'd be really surprised
to find out other text MUDs haven't done the housing thing (maybe not the
subdivision thing) before. In fact, come to think of it, I know they
have. I had a house I created entirely myself using an automated system in
Batmud, in the early 90s.

--matt