[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Sep 23 03:05:12 CEST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Marc DM wrote:

> How would it be to step into the skin of a 'nigger' in a rascist
> society?  This is what online worlds make us possible to do.

This might be picky of me, but I don't think online worlds will -ever- let
us do that in a meaningful way. Essentially just painting your skin black
doesn't even come close to simulating the experience of a black person in
America, particularly when everyone playing with you knows that the only
you they actually care about (the player rather than the character) may or
may not be black, or whatever other minority you want to pick.

Just as a man playing a female character doesn't give you more than
trivial insight into the experience of -actually- being female, skinning
your avatar with a black skin isn't going to tell you much about what it
is to actually be black.

--matt
America would do itself a big favor by impeaching Dubya for criminal
stupidity.