[MUD-Dev] Massive Online Gaming magazine

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Mon Sep 23 09:28:13 CEST 2002

The first issue of this new magazine is supposed to hit the stands
this week, possibly around friday.  It's dedicated exclusively to
the really large persistent world type online games.  Barnes &
Noble, Borders, EB, GameSpot, and other book and game stores will be
carrying it.  It's put together by Incan Monkey God Studios, who
have mostly done hint books and strategy guides to date.  It's
starting out as a quarterly, with 168 pages, no advertising, and
high quality paper.  Every issue is going to have coverage of the
"big 5" games (UO, EQ, DAOC, AO, AC), and a few pages each on the
"second tier" games (currently Lineage, WW2 Online, and Furcadia),
shorter profiles of some other games, and the "Ping" section has a
paragraph, screenshot, and basic info on everything they know of -
some 100 games or more in the first issue.  Said issue also has a
Q&A with our own Raph Koster, and four pages of "designer note" by
me.  Starting in the second issue, there'll be an regular opinion
and/or industry news column I'll be writing for them.

I thought members of the list would want to keep an eye out for
this.  Let's hope Massive Online Gaming does well, and eventually
goes bimonthly or even monthly, and brings a lot of new players into
these kinds of games.  (Though I think that's mainly Sims Online's
job. :X)

*-------------------------------------------**-----------------------------*
   Dr. Cat / Dragon's Eye Productions       ||       Free download!
  Supporting user-created graphical worlds. ||  Let your imagination soar!

P.S. If anybody cares, my DragonSpeak scripting language is finally
going to get to become a bit powerful in the next update, in
addition to very easy to use (as it's been since 1996 already).  I'm
finally putting in variables and some basic text handling (which is
already programmed and working).  On the other paw, if nobody
cares...  It's still happening anyway.  Just so you know.