[MUD-Dev] Storytelling in MMOGs article

Adam ceo at grexengine.com
Tue Sep 24 16:28:38 CEST 2002

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

> http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20020916/klug_01.htm

> Kinda simplistic, I thought. He's dead on about the need to go to
> an episodic structure for Live updates, I think, but skips all the
> details and hard parts. And his discussion of dramatic structure
> is basically meaningless. He almost lost me at "Everquest is a
> good example of how stories are told in massively multiplayer
> games" but redeemed himself on the third page.

I tried to find out what level and kind of article they were looking
for when they went asking for submissions for this feature, but
despite many attempts via email and in person, and to the editors,
they never even bothered to write back.

Anyone know what criteria they use for selecting these articles?
Seeing as (for the very small number of people who've stated an
opinion) the majority feeling seems to be that most of the articles
are of an uninformed or low quality - if that's fair, why weren't
more MUD-DEV members writing articles for this feature?

Just thoughts.

Adam M