[MUD-Dev] Flexible Perl MUD-like Server Project

stanza stanza023 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 17:56:37 CEST 2002

Considering there isn't a single file there, I think you are aiming
your goals quite high.

But I must admit that I'm in the market myself for the perfect MUD
server, and am looking at Perl/Python/anything but C/C++/Java for
codebases, and I have to say there is a serious need for such a
thing.

I have to make a comment about using Perl/Python/Tcl or other
scripting languages for MUD bases, I find that everytime I upgrade
my language they come out with new warnings and errors that didn't
exist in previous versions.  So literally I find Python Universe
Builder, written in 1998, with parts that don't work on modern day
Python interpreters.  Which, btw, I recommend at you look at for
ideas.

I looked more towards Python for my MUD bases when I realized that
Perl doesn't support static local variables (in C I use "static
int") but I'm much more fluent in Perl.  Does this crimp your coding
style as much as it does mine?

Since I keep contemplating my codebase-from-scratch ideas, I'd like
to work with you rather than go at it alone.  Are you just on the
sourceforge forums (where there is nothing posted) or do you hide in
a IRC channel somewhere?

Stanza