[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Derek Licciardi kressilac at insightBB.com
Wed Sep 25 01:17:23 CEST 2002

From: Freeman, Jeff

> Also, I don't think this approach necessitates a completely
> hands-off approach.  Rather, design systems which result in the
> genesis of a story emerging, then dive-in and "meddle" to make the
> story more interesting than it would have been otherwise.  Then
> let it resolve on its own, and follow-up as the sports-caster to
> make sure everyone knows how it turned out (and for that matter,
> to make it sound more interesting than it actually was).

I'd turn your sportscaster idea into something that was facilitated
by the players.  Allow them to make money at it and you just
invented newspapers and media.

> The result, I think, would be *good* stories (because you meddle
> to ensure that they are good, and then lie^H^H^Hexplain how good
> that story was), which are also *about* the players (which is all
> the players care about anyway).

> It's not just a bunch of nobs for players to tweak (aka sandbox),
> but also a system that guarantees there will be a story once
> players start tweaking nobs.  Mid-stream meddling to ensure the
> story is good.  Recap to ensure it is remembered as being good.

I'd go as far as to say limit your "meddling" to catalyst events.
The further you meddle in the plot, the more linear the story
becomes and the more the story has a single version.(your version)
Multiple versions of the same day at the ballpark from different
people are what make guys like Babe Ruth legendary.  Everyone has a
different viewpoint, though they at the base share a common event or
situation.  Thrive on it by not "meddling" too far into the game and
I would think the players will have a significantly deeper
experience in the game.  I'd agree that you can't become completely
hands off, though a strong argument could be made for a complete
simulation that would allow it.  I simply think it is more efficient
for a developer to be somewhat hands-on and spark stories as the
action/plot requires.

I could go on about live teams and gameplay requirements but suffice
it to say, noone has even come close to the story telling potential
these games have and I am not expecting this to be a reality in the
new wave of games coming this winter/spring.

Derek