[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Mathieu Castelli mcastell at noos.fr
Wed Sep 25 23:52:49 CEST 2002

"Sean Kelly" <sean at hoth.ffwd.cx>
wrote: Wednesday, September 25,

> Still, on this note, Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age" had an
> interesting example of a virtual world intended to teach the
> player.  At the end, one learned from the experience and another
> did not, and the difference had principally to do with their RL
> situations.

Funny. For me that book is the best asset for the "learning with
games" case.  All three girls who get the primer turn out to be
fanstastically brilliant.  And more than that, non fail: apart from
Nel (your successful one ?) one let her dreamy part get the the
better of her to become an artist, and the other (the original girl
the primer was designed for, the one of noble heritage) joined the
Drummer no ? (Damn my memory.)

Or maybe you'r not talking about the primer but some other elements
in "Diamond Age" ?

Mathieu

PS This book is possibly my favorite SF piece. It outpasses Snow
Crash so much it's a pity Stephenson is still more reknowned for the
later. For me, a must read for readers of this list.