[MUD-Dev] Winnable MMO

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Sun Apr 6 00:11:11 CEST 2003

On 2 Apr 2003, at 14:12, Diamonds wrote:

> My 2 cents is that games with 'winners' and 'loosers' are bad
> games to make if you plan on making money.

Then how do you explain sports games, chess, etc? Every single time
someone plays, there is a very definite loser.

> All video games have the, what I like to call, absolute
> factor. Meaning that no matter how poorly you play, given enough
> time you will win, absolutely.

Again, I point to sports games, chess, and games like them. There is
always a loser. If you are bad and play against people who are much
better, you will always lose.

> In conclusion, people play games to win. Niche community's follow
> 'win/loose' games.

I imagine EA's financial statement would disagree that win/lose
games are only a niche.