[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Harrok harrok at austarmetro.com.au
Thu Apr 17 07:29:04 CEST 2003

Sean Kelly said:

> But I see where you're coming from.  Since computers are very good
> at math, why not give them extra work to do for CRPGs?

I've been following this thread with great interest, and I think it
raises the point for me that the greater complexity of CRPGs is
largely wasted, because they generate results that are, if anything,
simpler and more predictable than tabletop systems.

If we take third edition RuneQuest as an example, it's possible for
the humblest of green-conned monsters to take out a character under
the right circumstances -- a couple of 01s on d100 would do the
trick most of the time. There would be an outcry on the EQ/DaOC
message boards if farming blues actually carried that element of
risk.

Bill