[MUD-Dev] Crunch time

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 7 12:27:01 CEST 2003

Damion Schubert wrote:

>> I believe that large sub-system specifications that are not yet
>> implemented have no business being implemented in crunch time.  If
>> you feel you're getting to a crunch point and your combat system
>> or player housing system is not yet in the game, you should
>> consider delaying the game or leaving the sub system out.

> I know of many programmers who would disagree - and I'm one of
> them (when I code).  I do a much better job at implementation if I
> do it in large crunchy bursts, and off-hours work is usually
> better for the really big system coding or design since you're
> less likely to be interrupted (meetings are rarely planned for
> crunch hours).

Crunch implementation, yes. Crunch design, a big NO. You /can't/
rush a design phase. Especially since in a game design you also have
to design gameplay (for each of the major systems), and real
playtesting never happens when you're in a hurry. Not to mention
that your internal interfaces will turn into a collection of
whatever anyone felt like putting in 5 seconds before having to use
the functionality (team communication doesn't work well in a hurry,
either).

Personally, I tend to pull lots of work with a looming deadline, and
every single line of it tends to look like something that ought to
be scrapped and rewritten shortly after the deadline is past.

    Miro