[MUD-Dev] Re: The lack of Creativity and Beauty a game user

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Thu Aug 14 14:52:44 CEST 2003

From: james_nesfield at nesfieldcapital.com

> Is there a way to get game programmers to look at financial
> applications or to frame the financial services industry in terms
> of a game?

> Of course simply paying game programmers is the answer but I'm not
> sure that is the whole answer since many programmers simply do
> what they do because the love it.

You want to find a game designer/programmer type who loves solving a
variety of problems with technology and cleverness, not just the
problem of how to make games as fun as possible.  I'd say a majority
of people in the field have that very narrow focus and just want to
work on games.  But there are a few out there that have a broad
range of interests and knowledge, and could probably contribute to
progress in most any field they set their mind to.  The late Dani
Bunten had trained and worked in the field of "Operations Research",
which is very inherently multi-disciplinary.  Chris Crawford decided
to further his understanding of ancient history by doing bronze-work
himself the way people did thousands of years ago, and he also is an
accomplished amateur astronomer.  Sid Meier developed a lesser-known
product for one of the videogame consoles called "CPU Bach", which
algorithmically improvises music in Bach's style.  And of course
John Carmack is working on a privately funded attempt to put a man
in space.

People like that are out there, you just need to find one.  And then
offer them a pretty hefty amount of cash to make it worth their
while to take a sufficient amount of time off from making games to
work on a financial services type of virtual world.

I know it's a lucrative enough market that a breakthrough tool would
be well worth the investment required to develop it.  You just have
to find the right person.