[MUD-Dev] Removing access to entertainment

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Dec 2 09:43:31 CET 2003

Michael Sellers wrote:

> And so we argue about the nature of the elephant, each revealing
> our own biases in the process.

The purpose of any game is to entertain.  Minus that, it has no
value.

If what you're making, no matter how "cool" is not "fun" then you
have failed.

There are many forms of entertainment that can be acheived within a
mud. The most lasting forms of entertainment imho, stems from the
interactions between players.  Some people are entertained with
mindless killing, others with role play and storytelling.  Mud's
don't need to be big, or complex to be enjoyable.

The most fun I've ever had on a mud was on Ground Zero, which was
little more than a stripped down Diku with ranged combat and
explosives (and literally nothing else).  It was essentially a text
FPS, but it was also rather entertaining (until some rebalances,
etc, ussual mud demise). The fun was in the competition between
players, which was fierce at the time.  I mostly played as a way to
"fire off" the frustrations of administrating another mud... (which
probably added to the fun factor)

IMHO, the first 2 letters of MUD identifies the purpose.  To enjoy
entertainment in the company of other like-minded people.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom