[MUD-Dev] Thought Experiment: Permanent Monster Death

Nicolai Hansen root at nicolaihansen.dk
Fri Dec 12 08:39:33 CET 2003

Brent P Newhall wrote:

> After reading the massive -- and fascinating -- thread on
> entertainment, spawning, etc. in games, I had the following
> thought.  Would love to know what you all think.

>    What would a game look like, if monsters stayed dead?  E.g.,
>    monsters can only be added to the game if the admins explicitly
>    add them.

> Might this not create a game in which individual monsters are much
> more powerful -- thus requiring a lot of team co-operation to kill
> -- but less common?

> How might this affect the "levelling treadmill?"

I'm currently programming a project where we decided that mobiles
should not respawn. Instead, we will make them reproduce. Each
mobile will have a "dominant mob of opposite sex" (this is my work
name for it. Generally, the dominant sex will be the one able to
reproduce more than once at a time), a chance for the reproduction
to happen, and an "offspring".  The chance of reproduction will be
modified on the fly by the amount of (balance
value)/(a*mob+b*dominant+c*offsprint) to ensure that they reproduce
only if they are not totally over populated already, and to make the
reproduce faster if they are underpopulated.  The reproduction will
be rolled for when a mob meets its errm.. partner ;)

/Nic