[MUD-Dev] Current State of MMOG's?

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Fri Dec 12 13:12:49 CET 2003

From: "Chris" <cwstewart at csupomona.edu>

> Here's an article questioning "Where's the real MMORPGs?" It
> reviews the industry and the gamers dedicated MMOG's. Without
> remorse the article takes a stab at nearly every mainstream MMO
> available. For those interested you can read it here:

>   http://www.gamemethod.com/archive/214.php

While I mostly agree on that article, I get annoyed at the fact that
he waves the PvP issue around like it's the golden solution to all
things.

Personally, I never cared for PvP in any way or form when playing an
MMO.  If I want pure PvP, I play Quake - It does it so much better.
You don't NEED PvP to make a good virtual world.

Never the less, I do agree that the current crops of MMOG's do not
employ virtual worlds, but rather gaming grounds. In a virtual world
I would expect more non-combat related things and have a vision
about .. everything really.  And that's one of the reasons UO of old
was so good, except it failed in some areas, like how many houses
would be build and such.

Their original vision had animal population scale against predators
and with how much forest was in the areas .. etc. etc. .. stuff like
that will have to make it into an MMO before it can be called a
virtual world. In UO's case though, they had to turn most of it off
because of far moe people playing than they had expected, so some
animals became extinct, forests disappeared and more.  Mind you, I
think it was cool to some extend to have such things happen, but it
DID hurt the game overall in the beginning.

EQ and it's current crop of clones is not a bad game though, it's an
excellent Hack & Slash game and even have some pretty good strategic
components.  Each to their own and hope they do it well.

---
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)