[MUD-Dev] Removing access to entertainment

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Fri Dec 12 13:33:31 CET 2003

From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>

> When it comes to mixing forms of entertainment, it should be clear
> to the designers when socialization, exploration, achievement and
> killing (and possibly many other aspects that have nothing to do
> with the Bartle types) are being presented to players.  Once they
> know, they should be able to avoid having dissimilar entertainment
> types as mandatory prerequisites.

And so you get totally one dimensional games.  Sure, I may be mostly
a killer, but I'm also an explorer and socializer.  After I kill
that Dragon over yonder, I itch to see what is behind it !  And my
friend may be mostly a socializer so he tags along as well.

I think that having multiple areas of interest is a boon to most
players.  And I also think that just because one pre-requisite
(slaying the dragon) is mostly one type of entertainment, it
shouldn't block the possibility of other types of entertainment
after you passed that pre-requisite.

  Slay the dragon.
  Explore the cave.
  Loot the stuffs.
  Brag and socialize with friends about how you slayed the dragon,
    took it's loot and explored the cave.

Sounds about right to me.

---
Jens L. Nielsen