[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 8

Chanur Silvarian chanur at guildsite.com
Fri Dec 12 14:22:14 CET 2003

From: "Brent P. Newhall" <me at other-space.com>

>   What would a game look like, if monsters stayed dead?  E.g.,
>   monsters can only be added to the game if the admins explicitly
>   add them.

I'm working on precisely this, though the game will re-add creatures
automatically, the admin doesn't have to do it.  The use of a name
generator, a spawn generator, and a quest generator, and at times
even a terrain/dungeon generator all working together to create a
unique quest centered around a unique NPC/MOB in a unique area all
put together just for the one adventurer (or that adventurer's
group).

It is similar in principle to the random dungeons that EQ has
recently added, but more in depth on the story/quest side.  If I
succeed in my goal, I will have quests as in depth as anything
offered in the top 5 MMO's (yes, I realize that I've not made a goal
of something as detailed as a quest in a 500 player MUD) but they
will be individually unique so no player gets a quest that thousands
of other players have done before.

If you kill the lizardman king then he stays dead, though another
may arise. I'm also working with spawn migration so the lizardmen
may move to a new location and have a new king.  Oh, and I'm using
an item generator so that this new king won't be carrying the same
item(s) as the old one... the quest is different from top to bottom
with the exception of the fact that you are going after a lizardman
king.