[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 9

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Fri Dec 19 23:22:17 CET 2003

From: "Paul Schwanz" <pschwanz at comcast.net>
>> Chanur Silvarian wrote:

>> You missed some of my previous stuff.  Yes, this would be true
>> with static spawn points.  If there is one thing I object to over
>> any other it is static spawn points.  The loot on the creature
>> doesn't cause camping, knowing the precise X, Y, Z coordinate
>> where the thing will spawn does.

>> Logically weighted random spawning is the only way to ever stop
>> camping.  By logically weighted I mean that the weighting will
>> cause certain creatures to be more prone to spawn in certain
>> zones/areas but precisely where in that area will never be known
>> without absolute certainty and, with randomness, there is still
>> the small probability of it spawning outside of the "normal" area.

> I'm still not sure why we have it in for camping when players so
> obviously like to camp.  Or why we have it in for farming when
> players seem to prefer to farm.  Why don't these facts cause us
> instead to come up with better ways to help players enjoy camping
> and farming?

Because I think it's an issue where it's not enjoyed, but felt as
necessary. Some enjoy the control of a resource, ie, owning or
controlling the camp. But standing in the same place until a monster
arrives, and with random drops, killing the same monster many times
to get the 1 item you want from it? That's not enjoyable to most.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com