Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Fri Jan 17 02:12:11 CET 2003

According to Matt Mihaly:

>> That there can, no doubt.

>> That there should, it remains in contention.

> How is that a contentious statement? It's like saying, "The world
> is fundamentally incapable of making everybody simultaneously
> happy." It's barely worth arguing about. Some people have
> fundamentally opposing desires, which ensures that there is no way
> to ever make everybody happy.

I'll make the same answer to Amanda and you.

My sentence was a bit too generic (as you can guess, it applied
chiefly to the debate at hand, namely SCS vs MCS).

There's a large difference between having a game that happens to be
attractive to some and unattractive to others, and making a game
that is specifically not attractive to a certain category of people.

When you add a feature, you add it for the specific purpose of
getting people. Most features will attract and repel people to
various degrees, and you don't pick a feature because it discourages
people. You choose it because you think it will please more people
than it displeases.

You never make a game expecting that people won't play it. Well, I
hope for you :)

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)