[MUD-Dev] New Skill System

jsmithn at hotmail.com jsmithn at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 18:47:05 CET 2003

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q4/msg00591.php

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:50:47 -0800 (PST)
"John W Pierce" <jwp at r2systems.com> wrote:
>> Phil O'Donnell:

>> Basically, it uses the classless, raceless system of giving
>> points to abilities as you complete certain actions, and using
>> these points to determine how skilled a character is in a certain
>> ability. However, my twist on it, is that, withut practice, you
>> abilities actually decrease over time.

> This is a good, and fairly common, idea. The problem I've seen
> with all efforts to implement it (including my own ca 1992 on The
> Marches of Antan), has been to find a good way to implement it. I
> didn't accomplish that, nor have I seen another computer-based
> system that has.

But who were you on The Marches of Antan?  It sounds like you were
one of the wizards, Xyzzy perhaps, or Argarius, or Groo, or some
other?  I would be interested in finding some of the "old school"
Antan players.