[MUD-Dev] RE: Storied Games

jsmithn at hotmail.com jsmithn at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 18:49:34 CET 2003

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q4/msg00798.php

On Fri,  7 Dec 2001 21:26:39 -0800 (PST)
"Lee Sheldon" <linearno at gte.net> wrote:
> From: John W. Pierce

>>> We really need to get away from novels and short stories as our
>>> models for how stories develop, and focus more on drama
>>> (including here TV and film).  These are visual media.  Games
>>> are visual media.

>> This is true of purely text-based MUDs, also. When I started the
>> Marches of Antan ten or eleven years ago, one of the things I
>> tried to impress on builders was that their writing needed to
>> emulate radio drama rather than books. It wasn't until one of
>> them told me they'd gotten a tape of some show from the library
>> that I realized most of them weren't old enough to have heard
>> radio drama.

Oh, I think I may have answered my own question: it sounds like this
is the infamous Horvendile, the Demiurge, if indeed you started The
Marches of Antan. Excellent.  Wonderful.