[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 char per server)

Damion Schubert damion at zenofdesign.com
Wed Jan 22 20:17:52 CET 2003

From: Michael Tresca

> This isn't a slam on your game, Dave.  But Who Wants to be a
> Millionaire was drek -- and it made a lot of money, ABC relied
> upon it completely, and then it collapsed.  It was not a good
> business model.  It was not necessarily a "quality" show -- but it
> made a lot of money.

> Then, the well dried up, quite suddenly actually.  Sustainable
> business models are about making money in the long term -- not get
> rich quick schemes.

> Millionaire was a great example of how to make money fast.  It's
> also a terrible example of a sustainable business model.  All the
> folks who worked on that show can point to their paychecks and
> say, "I made a lot of money off of this."  So can the higher ups
> at Enron.  Doesn't mean it's a good business model.

A slight correction.

All the folks who worked on Millionaire can point to their paychecks
and say "we did our part."  They can then point to the owners of ABC
and say "you guys didn't follow up."

There is certainly nothing wrong with creating a short-term product.
Most computer games, in fact, are, and I've seen business models for
MMPs that would work as short-term investments.  The trick is being
sure that you are realistically planning for that product's
obsolescence.

--d